By G. Philip Marris
Hatfield School opened in 1953 as a Grammar School and was sited in College Lane. It started with 120 boys and girls, a number that rose to about 900. Unusually for a Grammar School, it offered German rather than Latin. According to the BBC’s “Domesday Reloaded” web site, girls at the school did needlework and cooking, while the boys did woodwork and metalwork.
In 1971, the school moved to the southern end of Travellers Lane between Hatfield and Welham Green. The school’s Grammar School status was removed for it to become a mixed-ability school. Michael Slaney was the Head Teacher.
Hatfield School closed in 1990, after which the county council re-used the site (called New Barnfield) for its Central Resources Library and other educational services. In 2011, the site became the subject of significant controversy when the county council announced its plans for a giant incinerator there, a decision that was later overturned at Government level and in the courts.