The following article appeared in the Welwyn Times dated 9th April 1931:
Newtown School.—Sketch plans of an elementary school to provide accommodation for 480 children, to be erected on the recently-acquired site in Newtown, Hatfield, have been approved by the Board of Education, at an estimated cost of £21,292. The drawings show an arrangement of ten class rooms, all having a southerly aspect, with an assembly hall, cloak-rooms, lavatories, head teachers’ and staff rooms, book store and caretakers store. The site stands back about 750 feet from the main Hatfield—St. Albans road, and adjacent to the land proposed to be developed under the Briars Lane housing scheme.
Newtown School was built in 1933 was closed in 1985 the buildings were then used as an extension of Oaklands Further Education College. This extension closed c. 1998, the buildings demolished and the land used for housing.