Walby, the Butchers.
By Christine Martindale
The first record of the Walby family in Hatfield was in 1684 when a William Walby, Butcher lived in Duck Lane, later to be called Park Street. From this time various generations of the family carried on the butchers business. By 1838 a George Walby had moved to the opposite side of Park Street to the corner with Arm and Sword Yard (colloquial named Blood and Guts Alley). The business carried on here until 1935 when it then moved to premises on the Great North Road.
Sadly the Walby Butchers shop has now long gone in Old Hatfield, although there was a shop in the new Salisbury Square for some time after the redevelopment of the 1960/70s. Can anyone remember when the business closed down?
Find out more information about the Walby family & their business, look in
Hatfield & Its People Bk., 11a Families & Trades reprinted 2015 by Hatfield Local History Society