Countess Anne School
By Christine Martindale
In 1912, the original Countess Anne Charity School, founded by Anne, 5th Countess of Salisbury in 1732 closed. The school had occupied a building at the top of Church Street, Old Hatfield, which had been built in 1869. After the school closed, there were plans to enlarge the building and transfer the Church of England Girls School from its site in London Road, but this fell through. Instead, it was the Church of England Infants School which moved in 1913 to the Countess Anne building. It was requested that the school would be known as the Church of England Infants School but habit triumphed and the new school was always referred to as Countess Anne, which was adopted to become its official name.
The school remained at the top of Church Street until 1962 when it was transferred to buildings in School Lane where Countess Anne School, a Church of England Academy, remains a popular Hatfield school to this day.
See the present-day school’s web site at: http://www.countessanneprimary.org.uk/ [link opens in a new tab]