Christchurch United Reform Church
By Jean Cross
Christchurch United Reform Church, St Albans Road East.
Originally conceived in 1929 building was completed in 1932, as successor to the Park Street Chapel when Hatfield Newtown was expanding and was known at that time as the Congregational Church of Hatfield.
The site was first purchased in 1931 and the foundation stone laid by Mr. Halley Stewart on 23 July 1931. The first service was held on Sunday May 1st 1932.
A Manse for the Minister was built in 1935 but in 1944 both Church and Manse were badly damaged by a flying bomb which destroyed both St Audrey’s School and the Police houses.
[this Information taken from Part 7 (Churches) of the “Hatfield and Its People” series of books republished by Hatfield Local History Society in 2014]